Thursday, January 8, 2009

Remarkable Reykjavik

So, I'm back in Reykjavik, living in the same part of town, going to the same university, having 2 of the same professors, the weather is the same, the school is arranging the same "study tours", and yet everything is very different.
The atmosphere has changed, the streets and bars are not as lively anymore, people don't have the same facial expression, eye contact is very rare. The crisis looks as to have hit the common man and woman hard. 
I believe as a foreigner here I can bring something positive to the Icelanders, not only foreign currency (and thats not a lot anyway, compared to what they need) but more importantly make them see how great a country they have and what great qualities the society here have.
I admire the icelanders "out goingness" which I see has faded a bit. It very connected to their creativity and inspiration, hence it may be challenging to work with icelanders on the upcoming university projects. I have just finished Ethics for Amador (Ética para Amador), and I think I can take a couple of learnings from the book to help the Icelanders realise their qualities and have their confidence and ethusiams blossom.
I will return next week on my progress on this and responses.
Stay close, and have a good weekend when that comes

No comments: